December 28, 2010

Y'all are invited!


So some of you may have looked into the Facebook Group we created with the idea of possibly houseboating at Lake Powell in Utah this coming summer in efforts to get a big gathering of the Spence clan together for a reunion vacation. Thanks to those of you that responded and were interested. But after more thoughts and consideration we realized although the location was centralized to where most of us live from one another there were no major airports near that lake, meaning those that weren't driving in but flying in would also have to rent a car to get there and then also pay to vacation on a houseboat. We thought it got to be too expensive of a trip idea - although we love houseboating!

Some interest sparked for some of our siblings and cousins wanting to come visit Texas next year. So after talking with them and Uncle Steve who also lives here in the Austin area we thought, "Well lets just try to have our family reunion gathering vacation here...in TEXAS!". We've already had many family and friends come to visit in this area, and we believe all had a great time, some of them coming back for a 2nd and 3rd visit! There are many things to do here (well of course there are, Texas is gigantic!). And we've even done a family reunion (my side with my brothers and cousins) here and we had a blast swimming at local swimming holes, tubing on the rivers, eating BBQ and riding a steam locomotive.

So the tentative date to do the reunion right now is June 17, 2011! We thought mid June would work best for most everyone as those that are in school should be on summer break. And it's also 6 months away which gives all of us enough time to put in for vacation requests at work and book travel arrangements. I will post Bryce's comment he emailed us on this post. He suggested if we get enough families going we can try to get a block of rooms at discount at one of the local hotels, which is a great idea if we have many coming! But we want y'all to know (and I believe I can say the same goes for Uncle Steve and his home), any or all of you are welcome to stay at our home - we have plenty of space whether it be beds, air mattresses, couches, floors, trampoline :) that you can sleep on. So that is an offer and an option. Also remember if you need a car rental Stephen can get any of you one with a 40% family discount!

So I thought by creating this blog I could post day trip and excursion ideas and y'all could give your input by leaving comments. You will see many or most of my ideas consist of going to or being around water. Honestly it gets HOT here in Texas during the summer. In mid-June we should be in the 90's. But don't get me wrong, I didn't post about the many fabulous museums, zoos, music venues, etc. that we can also do. I just thought with all the kids it would be most fun to get out and do some more adventurous stuff.

We hope Y'all can come!

Please let us know and leave a comment!

7 comments:

Bryce Spence said...

Hey Merry Christmas Y'all . I am stoked the many talks of the sweet Texas vacation have begun. Personally I would like to go the day after the last day of school. Take care guys love u Bryce

Bryce Spence said...

Hi Y'aaalll Do you like my slow southern draw?...
Anywho Iam super excited about Texas. I want to get it rolling. I dont know how many people are gonna go, but maybe if we get a few hotel rooms we can get a break. Whenever you guys make up a ''loose'' itinerary let me know. I found a couple of sweet hotels that offer breakfast buffets not to far from you guys. Whatever works I hope a ton of people go but if not the people all ready in is bithchen. I know my grammar is brutal, but so am I. Looking forward to talking to you guys soon. Love, Bryce

Kelly Spence said...

Sounds fun, BUT Nate has a clinical affiliation in Oregon during that time so we won't be able to make it. Big bummer. Maybe we will catch one another time.

Mark Spence said...

Melissa- you're great! seriously. I love all the work you have already put into this. I know it's going to be so much fun because you are the brains behind it. -mark

Bryce Spence said...

Wow you guys sure did that quick. Personally, anything with water sounds good to me. I wouldn't mind doing that waterpark twice, but I know that gets costly. Those waterfalls looked really neat too. Tubing looks like a must. Whatever you guys come up with I know everyone will have a great time. Talk to you soon.

Michaela said...

You did such a great job planning this Melissa! And it looks like so much fun! I wish we could make it, but since I'm due less than a month from that date, and Jordan will most likely be in school till July, I don't think we'll make it there :( But when we do come visit TX, I hope we get to do all these fun things!!!

Gwen and Jerrick said...

Hello Melissa and Stephen,

Thank you for the invitation and I am planning on visiting my family in Dallas in June and would like to include my Spence family at that time. I am interested in visiting for a couple of days and would be looking forward to a wonderful reunion. Please keep me in the loop of your plans. I am not on facebook but Jerrick tells me he is informed of all family events and that is perfect! Thank you so much for planning this event! I miss Kevin so much and I live for him and his son!!!!

Thank you,

Gwen and Jerrick